Job title: Field Officer
Non-profit New Incentives is looking to recruit a Field Officer to expand its team dedicated to preventing maternal and newborn mortality in Kaduna State, Nigeria. The Field Officer will support New Incentives’ expanding program that utilizes cash transfers to encourage pregnant women to deliver at public clinics.
The program is operated in cooperation with the Ministry of Health in Kaduna State (pending final approval). The primary duty in the role will be to manage operations at select health facilities.
The Field Officer will be based in Kaduna and work at clinics throughout Kaduna State. This position will be available as of August/September 2016. The position may require occasional travel to Uyo in Akwa Ibom State where the New Incentives head office is located.
Over the past years, Nigeria has considerably expanded the availability of health services for pregnant women. Despite this progress on the supply-side, demand from pregnant women remains low. New Incentives encourages these women to deliver their babies in a health facility with cash transfers and thereby ensures their babies are born safely. Women are given the cash transfers after they deliver at a clinic. This massively increases the children’s chance of survival in the first few years of their life.
- Supervising the cash transfer program at select clinics in Kaduna State
- Ensuring quality control through regular follow-up with clinic staff – both on the phone and in-person at the clinics
- Collect program data on mobile devices
- Managing the hotline where women call in to get their mobile money tokens
- Assisting the management with other duties related to the program
- Fluency in local languages/dialects spoken in Kaduna State, especially Hausa. Please state the names of the languages/dialects you can speak and your fluency level for each dialect in your cover letter.
- Nigerian national based in Kaduna
- Female preferred (while New Incentives is a non-discriminatory employer this position requires frequent access to antenatal wards)
- Minimum of Higher National Diploma or Bachelor degree, preferably in the field of health or other natural sciences
- Experience with the Nigerian health system and clinic documentation, particularly related to newborn health, HIV/AIDS and/or PMTCT, desirable
- Experience in collecting, synthesizing and drawing conclusions from (health) data desirable
- Skilled in negotiation and careful attention to financial matters
- Detail-oriented, diligent professional
- Aptitude to deal with difficult emotional situations
- Passion to help others and reduce maternal and infant mortality
- Very good communications and writing skills, English and dialects (verbal and written)
- Excellent responsiveness to email and phone requests
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word/Excel, internet browsers, smartphones and new communications technology in general
- Hard-working, result-oriented and loyal
- Motivation to work in a young organization that is constantly changing based on stakeholder feedback and operates with a lean structure
Expiring date:Not stated
How to apply
Applications are accepted only online through Breezy HR and must include the following attachments:
- One-page CV
- Brief letter of motivation (maximum of 300 words)
The selection process for this position is competitive. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates short-listed based on their online applications will have to undergo a series of short online tests and phone interviews that allow for the identification of the most qualified person in a transparent and meritocratic manner.
Please note that New Incentives is dedicated to spending the largest share possible on its beneficiaries and therefore limits its administrative costs. This results in modest but adequate salaries for its staff. Do not expect salaries that other much larger international organizations or corporations might offer.
To apply, click on the link below.